Sunday: Stair Running
Stair Running is where it all started. A free outdoor training session on a Sunday afternoon
Our stair running fitness program is a free session that Antony has been putting on for 4 years now every Sunday afternoon. As with all our classes and bootcamps we have such a diverse group of people that come to join us and this is no different on a Sunday afternoon. Lots of parents bring their children to this session and the kids love it. Basically there are 161 stairs in Armley Park and we get together every Sunday afternoon to run, walk or crawl them. Some of us do killer full body workouts at them with jumps, press ups, lunges.. all sorts.
Stair running or walking it’s self has so many postive health benefits, here are just a few:
• When you stair run for exercise, you burn twice the fat in half the time than if you run and three times more than walking.
• Stair running is an awesome all over body workout but especially on the lower body – bum, calves, thighs and tummy.
• An intense stair-running exercise session will produce more aerobic benefits in a shorter amount of time than running or walking. One hour of stair running will burn approximately 1000 calories.
• It leverages gravity so the heavier we are, the harder we’re forced to work and the more calories we burn.
• It is a relatively intense exercise that quickly increases our heart rate and in doing so can greatly improve our cardiovascular fitness.
• Anyone can do it regardless of fitness levels.
• It is weight bearing, it helps build bone strength.
• It is low impact and safe for the knees
Come and join us, we meet at Mike Tobins Gym for 1.45pm and go over to the stairs together.